I am here to do a little update on my Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) experience, using coconut oil. Surprisingly, my original post has been the most viewed post since I hit publish way back in June! If you randomly found my blog by searching about OCM, WELCOME! I am so happy to have you. I hope it has helped a little bit in your search of finding something that works for your skin. :)
If you haven't read that post in a while... go ahead and refresh your memory. Enjoy!
Welcome back! :)
So, this is where we left it:
By June... I was feeling pretty good with how my skin was reacting to the OCM and my Clarisonic. Especially after writing that post, man! I was so happy to see the results, honestly. It felt good to actually see what my face looked like, instead of what I thought my face looked like in my head. You know how you always see your imperfections worse than the world around you... that was me.
July and August, I continued... and then I was given a new product to try. And, let's just say, that didn't do too much. I didn't have a horrible reaction or anything, but for the amount of time it took each day to use it and to not see any great results wasn't worth it for me. Oh well!
I am not sure what I did after that, but I got a little lax about the OCM. And, well, my face suffered for it. Finally in October, I got serious again.
Same routine as before: "Wash" with coconut oil, wipe off with warm wash cloth, use Clarisonic and end with a little Witch Hazel.
And this is where I am today!
I think my face may be BETTER now than back in June, even with the break thrown in there (and a stressful December!). :) :)
I still have ways to go, but I am happy with what I am seeing! I know it will never, ever be the "pill perfect," but I am thrilled to have something actually... working.
There is still so much scarring. I am not sure what to do about that. If you out there who read this and have any suggestions, please let me know! Anything!
Other Random Things:
- Organic, unrefined, expeller pressed coconut oil seems to work the best for my skin.
- Switch out your wash clothes regularly (I notice a difference in my skin if I haven't changed to new clothes at the 2 week mark)
- As a commenter pointed out, try not to stick your dirty hands in the jar of oil. The bacteria will stay there and then you'll be spreading that around your face. Mmmm! Wash your hands, use a clean spoon, or keep a smaller amount in a little tupperware (which is what I do!).
- I use my Clarisonic Mia 2 once a day, which is at night.
- No really, change the brush head about every 3 months!
- OCM + the Clarisonic can actually be REALLY drying (especially in the colder, dryer parts of the country). I used my Clarisonic every other day when I was in DC and even used a moisturizer.
- I will mix part of my moisturizer (BareEsentuals) with some oil. The oil alone doesn't always help when my skin is dry (which is rarely, down here in FL)
- Change out your pillow cases regularly, too. I try (don't always get to it) clean them weekly.
Annnnnd, that's what I've got. I hope this has been a useful update for you. Let me know if you have any other questions! Or, have you done/are doing OCM?! I would love to hear about it!